New York City NightLife Bars Entertainment SpotLife News
From sports bars to supper clubs to dance halls with VIP rooms,
there are plenty of places in New York for you to find a soft comfy
place to sit, drink, and listen to music.
Some venues may be closed due to recent events in New York City.
Call ahead for info.
- 13 Bar/Lounge, 35 E. 13th St., btwn Broadway & University Pl. (212) 979-6677
- Three floor lounge/nightclub with live ecclectic Jazz, Funk, Rock, and Soul music every Tuesday and Spoken Word poetry every Monday. Wed - Sun are DJ parties featuring Brit Pop, Retro dance music, Trance and everything in between. Doors open 7:30pm - 10pm depending on the night, and cover ranges from $0 - $10. Check their website for schedules. Ages 21 and over. Subway: A, C, E, B, D, F, Q to W. 4th St.
- 2i's, 248 W. 14th St., btwn 7th & 8th Aves. (212) 807-1775
- Two bars on two floors playing Hip Hop, R&B, Reggae and Old School dance music. Proper attire is expected. $5 - $15 cover. Open 10:30pm - 4am every night. 21 and over. Subway: A, C, E, 1, 2, 3, 9 to 14th St.; L to 8th Ave.
- Alchymy, 12 Ave. A, btwn Houston & 2nd St. (212) 477-9050
- DJs spin hip-hop, R&B, reggae and more every day but Wednesday when they have open mic sessions. Monday is ladies night, and there is a $5 cover for guys on Friday and Saturday nights. Ages 21 and over. Open 7 days a week from 4pm - 4am, with Happy Hour from 4pm - 8pm. Subway: F to 2nd Ave.
- Alphabet Lounge, 104 Ave. C, @ 7th St. (212) 780-0202
- Open Mon. to Sat., 8pm - 4am. Closed Sundays except the first Sunday of the month when they host a Fetish Party. No cover. Ages 21 and over. Subway: F to 2nd Ave.
- Angel Bar, 174 Orchard St., btwn Houston & Stanton St. (212) 780-0313
- No cover. All kinds of music. Hours: Sun.-Thur. 7pm - 3am, Fri. 6pm - 4am, Sat. 7pm - 4am. Subway: F to 2nd Ave.
- Au Bar, 41 E. 58th St, btwn Park Ave. & Madison Ave. (212) 308-9455
- Supper club with dancing, where a DJ spins all kinds of tunes every day. Open 9pm - 4am. Cover charge on the weekend ($20 on Friday, $25 on Saturday, $10 if you're having dinner). 21 and older. Subway: 4, 5, 6 to 59th St.; N, R to 5th Ave.
- Baktun, 418 W. 14th St., @ 9th Ave. (212) 206-1590
- Multimedia lounge with "live instrumental & electronic music, visual projection installations, DJs, Wordsmiths, Live video mixes & ISDN broadcasts." See their website for schedule: (http://www.baktun.com/html/index_info.html) Must be 21 or older. $5 cover some weekends. Hours: Wed.-Sat., 9pm - 4am. Subway: A, C, E to 14th St.; L to 8th Ave.
- Le Bar Bat, 311 West 57th St., btwn 8th & 9th Aves. (212) 307-7228
- Multilevel club with live bands every night except Sunday, a dance club with DJs, a restaurant, four bars and an upstairs chillout room with TVs and a jukebox. Cover is $10 during the week, $15 on Thursday, and $20 on the weekend. Ages 21 and older. Club hours: 5:30pm - 4am. Subway: A, C, B, D, 1, 9 to 59th St.
- Bar d'O, 29 Bedford St., @ Downing St. (212) 627-1580
- DJs on Friday and Saturday, and a live drag cabaret show ($5 cover) on Sat., Sun. and Tuesday nights. Ages 21 and over. Hours: Weedays, 7pm - 3am; Fri. & Sat., 7pm - 4am. Subway: 1, 9 to Houston St.
- Barmacy, 538 E. 14th St., btwn Ave. A & Ave. B (212) 228-2240
- This bar plays mostly rock music with the occasional foray into R&B, Soul, and Hip Hop. Happy Hour is weekdays from 5:30pm - 8:30pm. Hours: weekdays, 5:30pm - 4am; weekends 7pm - 4am. Subway: L to 1st Ave.
- Bar 169, 169 E. Broadway, @ Essex St. (212) 473-8866
- This dance club has live and DJ music of all kinds. Regular shows include Latin music every Thursday, and Underground every second Sunday. Hours: Sun., 5pm - 4am; all other days, 4pm - 4am. For more information check out their website (http://www.the169bar.bizland.com). Subway: F to E. Broadway; J, M, Z to Essex St.
- B Bar, 358 Bowery, @ 4th St. (212) 475-2220
- Formerly known as the Bowery Bar, this restaurant/bar stays open until 4am playing lounge and rock music every Tues., Thur., Fri., and Sat. It is also available for private parties. Ages 21 and over after the restaurant closes. Check out the website for more information (http://www.bbarandgrill.com). Subway: 6 to Bleeker
- Beauty Bar, 231 E. 14th St., btwn 2nd Ave. & 3rd Ave. (212) 539-1389
- Hours: weekdays, 5:30pm - 4am; weekends, 7pm - 4am. Subway: L to 3rd Ave.; N, R, 4, 5, 6 to 14th St.-Union Sq.
- Belmont Lounge, 117 E. 15th St., btwn Irving Pl. & Union Sq. E. (212) 533-0009
- Chill Union Square Lounge with DJs nightly and light fare. Open 4pm - 4am every day. DJs change often, so call for info. Dress code is Hip, Neat and Clean. $5 cover after 10pm on Friday and Saturday. Ages 21 and older. Subway: N, R, L, 4, 5, 6 to Union Sq.
- Black Star Lounge, 92nd Ave., btwn 5th St. & 6th St. (212) 254-4747
- Not only do they have a pool table and live DJ music every night of the week, but there is also a back room for private parties. No cover. Tuesdays are Reggae, Mon & Fri they play Electronic music, and other nights are mixed 80's, Classic, and House music. 21 and over. Hours: 4pm - 4am. Subway: F to 2nd Ave.
- bOb, 235 Eldridge St., btwn Houston & Stanton St. (212) 777-0588
- Bar/gallery/lounge showing art by local New York artists. Open 7pm - 3am every night. Happy Hour from 7 - 10pm. 21 and over. Subway: F to 2nd Ave.
- Botanica, 47 Houston St., btwn Mott & Mullberry St. (212) 343-7251
- DJ music varies nightly at this lounge. Hours: Mon. - Fri., 5pm - 4am; weekends, 6pm - 4am. Subway: B, D, F, Q to Broadway-Lafayette St.; 6 to Bleeker
- Bouche Bar, 540 E. 5th St., btwn Ave. A & Ave. B (212) 475-1673
- Ages 21 and over. Open 7:30pm - 4am during the week, and 7pm - 4am on Fri and Sat. Subway: F to 2nd Ave.
- Bowery Ballroom, 6 Delancey St., btwn Bowery & Crystie St. (212) 533-2111 (see events)
- Outfitted in classy Art Deco style, this three-level former shoe store has a downstairs lounge and a 500-capacity concert hall. A cool mid-sized venue for Electronica, Alternative and Indie-rock. Downstairs opens at 7pm, upstairs opens at 8pm with shows starting at 9:30 or 10pm. Tickets from $12 - $30. Age limit varies (16 - 21) depending on the show. The Box Office at the Mercury Lounge is open from 12 - 7pm, Mon.-Sat. (212-260-4700). Subway: J, M to Bowery, 6 to Spring St.
- B3, 33 Ave. B, @ 3rd St. (212) 614-9755
- A lounge/restaurant serving dinner from 6pm - 12am. The lounge is open from 6pm - 4am and you must be 21 or older to get in. There is open mic Mon & Tues, comedy on Wed, live shows on Thur, and live music and DJs on the weekend. Subway: F to 2nd Ave.
- Cachette, 14 Ave. B, btwn 2nd St. & Houston (212) 260-7100
- This lounge hosts DJs every night who play mostly underground, deep house, funk, and soul. Hours: Tues-Sat, 9pm - 4am. Ages 21 and over. Subway: F to 2nd Ave.
- Cafe Novecento, 343 W. Broadway, @ Grand St. (212) 925-4706
- This restaurant/bar has a lounge open on the weekends and available for rentals. Hours and cover vary depending on what is going on in the space. Subway: A, C, E to Canal St.
- CBGB, 313 Bowery at Bleecker St. (212) 982-4052 (see events)
- Since 1976, this club has been serving the best in Punk and alternative rock. Blondie and the Talking Heads got their starts here. CB's (as it's affectionately called) now hosts many different kinds of music, but it's still true to its punk roots. Shows nightly at 8pm. Cover: $5-$10. Ages 16 and over to get in, 21 to drink (obviously). Subway: B, D, F, Q to Broadway-Lafayette, 6 to Bleeker.
- Centro-Fly, 45 W. 21st St., btwn 5th Ave. & 6th Ave. (212) 627-7770
- Nightclub/restaurant with DJs, a dance floor, party rooms, and swank grub. Ages 21 and over. $20 cover. Hours: Tues.-Sat., 10pm - 5:30am. Subway: F, N, R to 23rd St.
- Chaos, 225 E. Houston St., @ Essex St. (212) 475-3200
- This dance club has a different party each night, with music ranging from Caribbean to House. Hip Hop in the basement level lounge. Hours: Wed.-Sat., 10pm - 4:30am. Ages 21 and over. $20 cover. Subway: F to 2nd Ave.
- Cheeta Club, 12 W. 21st St., btwn 5th and 6th Aves. (212) 206-7770
- Decent star watching and decadent atmosphere make this a great club for dancing or lounging around. Cover: varies, $10 - $20. Hours: Mon-Sat, 10pm-4am. Subway: F, N, R to 23rd St.
- Chelsea Lounge, 154 W. 26th St., btwn 6th & 7th Aves. (212) 691-4306
- This lounge bar plays hip hop, R&B, house, and top 40 music, with some trance and garage style thrown in on the weekends. Hours: Tues-Sat., 5pm - 2am. Ages 21 and over. $10 cover after 10pm on weekends, varies on weekdays. Subway: F to 23rd St.
- China Club, 268 W. 47th Street, btwn Broadway and 8th. (212) 398-3800
- Rock and Roll place where Jagger and Bowie are spotted often (both live part time in the Upper West Side). Good people watching, but go elsewhere for dancing. Check out the Jade Terrace Roof-Garden Lounge. Cover: $20. Hours: 10pm-4am daily. Subway: N, R to 47th St.; 1, 9, C, E to 49th St.
- China White, 143 Madison Ave., btwn 31st & 32nd Sts. (212) 684-0004
- This lounge serves appetizers and hosts many private parties and events. If there is no event scheduled, there is no cover and they are open Tues.-Sat., 5:30 pm - 4am. Ages 21 and over. Subway: 6 to 33rd St.
- Club New York, 252 W. 43rd St., btwn Broadway & 8th Ave. (212) 997-9510
- Thursday is ladies night with hip hop, R&B, reggae and house music. On Fri. & Sat. they host "Pop Music en Espanol" for you Latin (music) Lovers. $10 cover for ladies Fri./Sat., gents pay $15 - $20 every day. Hours: Thur.-Sat. (other days too sometimes), 10pm - 4am. Subway: A, C, E to 42nd St.-Port Authority; N, R, S, 1, 2, 3, 9, 7 to 42nd St-Tines Sq.
- Cream, 246 Columbus Ave at 71st Street. (212) 712-1666
Subway: B, C, 1, 2, 3, 9 to 72nd St.